How To Get The Most Out Of Your Time In The Gym

 Davis Flachs

How To Get The Most Out Of Your Time In The Gym

What exactly is the perfect combination of rest, diet, gym-time to cut out wasted hours?

Hours upon hours are wasted every week in the gym. I’ve been the victim of this myself. When I turned seventeen, I took a long look at myself and my life, realizing I could do better and it was time to reinvent myself. I took to the gym religiously. Although my motives were well-intentioned, I ran into a problem many beginners find themselves with: doing it all wrong. I never took a day off, then I’d lose motivation for a week or two before getting back into the gym. My form was horrible. I had a rough schedule in my head, but was prone to stray from it. I ate better, but often found my newfound efforts in the gym served as an excuse to eat poorly.

The reason for all of this? My inclination to think “I can do it myself” and “I don’t need outside help” for one, but most importantly, the gym can be a scary place to a newcomer. You may not want to reach out and ask for help. Nobody wants to look or feel stupid in a place they already feel self-conscious. Asking somebody how to do tricep pushdowns and googling “how do I bench” can make you feel like an idiot, even though they are valid questions. The only way out is through. Sit down, set up a calendar, research exercise and diet, and get to work.

Step 1: Map Out The Week

Whether it’s due to overwork, bad form, bad diet, or a bad schedule, taking the time to map out your weekly workout schedule can not only save you precious hours but save you from injury and help you reach your physical goals sooner.

First step is to get a calendar. A day planner or google calendar works. Keep in mind experience level. You don’t want to lose motivation, and the quickest way to do this is to overwork yourself. The body cannot recover and muscles cannot grow without rest. Try scheduling one to two rest days per week to avoid burnout. 

On top of this, use resources like bodybuilding.com’s forum (which is for all sorts of workouts, not just bodybuilding) to fill your daily schedule. While your weekly schedule should read like “Monday: Chest and Shoulders” you should either jot down the specifics of what should be done that day. The biggest hurdle for me when I began making exercise a core component in my schedule was not knowing what to do. Forums like bodybuilding.com helped me organize my individual workouts and structure them properly. 

While making your calendar, make sure rest days and workouts are evenly distributed. The image below is a fine outline of what your week could look like.

 Step 2: Optimizing Through Form

The worst thing to see in the gym is somebody who appears dedicated; giving it their all, yet they’re doing it wrong. This might get your heart rate up, but it’s not going to work the correct muscle groups and can lead to injury. Perfecting your form can not only minimize injury, but it can cut down the amount of time you have to spend in the gym .

How does one optimize form?

Most people don’t have a gym buddy, and if they do, their gym buddy might not be experienced. The simplest way to learn proper form is YouTube. Take some time and watch some videos. Most sites that show workout plans also include short clips that show proper form for each workout. Another way would be to ask somebody in your gym. This is my preferred method. Often they are able to teach you tricks, breathing techniques, and alternative forms. It’s also a way to get to know the people in your gym. 

Step 3: Diet, Diet, Diet

Diet is equally as important as form. Without a proper diet, you won’t get results. You can look into specific foods if you like, such as spinach or liver, which both carry natural steroids, but for beginners and many others, being so selective is a bit too much.

It's best to stray from fad diets and stick to simple options. Fish, beef, poultry, and pork for your proteins. Add some produce to spice up the plate and get some important nutrients in there. Once you have this, you need to decide what fat/oil you’re going to cook it in. Healthy fat options include:

  • Avocado oil,

  • Coconut oil

  • Olive oil

  • Butter

  • Ghee (Clarified butter)

Food is our fuel for the gym, and our refuel afterward. Without proper nourishment, we are left without either the energy to perform or the ability to recover and grow. Fats and carbs are the most important for this. Some carb options include:

  • Oats

  • Quinoa

  • Bananas

  • Sweet Potatoes

  • Oranges

  • Blueberries

  • Chickpeas

A simple way to phrase it is this: fats provide a longer-lasting energy, while carbs provide a short burst.

Both are necessary, I find it helpful to eat lots of carbs pre-workout, then lots of fats post-workout. This strategy gives me the energy to perform in the gym while keeping me fueled for the rest of the day.

Most importantly, you need to keep it simple. There’s no need to have meal kits you found on Instagram shipped in, and protein shakes are often unnecessary unless you’re in a rush. Some people are prone to have a meal and a shake as well, but the food on your plate is nourishment enough unless you’re a powerlifter who eats 6,000 calories a day.

A proper diet can keep you functioning in the gym, but also allows you to reach your goals much more quickly, optimizing the time you’ve spent in the gym.

Know No Bounds…

Much of the efforts gym goers pour into their workouts are wasted. Keeping a consistent schedule with a fair amount of rest, learning proper form/studying workouts, and eating a proper diet are the keys to making sure your time in the gym does not go to waste. With the efforts of building a schedule, the knowledge behind each exercise and an understanding of the science behind diet, your potentials are boundless.


Comments